Thursday, January 7, 2010

1 Down...51 to go!!


Well, there we go, the first whole week of 2010 is behind us. Hope everyone is off to a good start. My start has already had a little bump in it, but in terms of photography, I'm off to a good start. In my last post I mentioned that I'd be trying to do a "Photo A Day" project....so that started on Jan. 1st, and I've made it through the first week with little trouble. It was cold trying to take a few pics outside, but I toughed it out and get done what I wanted...with a few mistakes, but we'll call them lessons...and now I've only got 51 weeks left!! If I do keep this up I'll definitely take way more photos than I did in the past year, and that wasn't a small amount. At this rate we're looking to break over 30,000 or more shots this year. I know some pros can shoot that in a couple trips, but I don't think my camera was built for that, and I've got a job to, so that keeps me inside sometimes. For my 365 Project I started a Flickr page. You can find that right here, and keep tabs on me for every once in a while to see if I'm slacking off or not. I hope to learn a fair bit through this project, and get to play with some fun gear too! I posted a bit of an "outtake" from my Day 1 shoot. I got to put my new Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe to good use with this shot. I put my SB-900 in the Ezybox just to the left of the camera and about a foot higher than my head, the SB unit was @ 1/4 power to light me, and I placed another SB unit camera right and just behind me with a blue gel on it for some rim light. I had fun with this and I'm pretty pleased with the result.


Yesterday I drove my wife to work and then headed south of town to catch the end of the sunrise. All I had with me was my camera and wide angle zoom lens, and a tripod as well. I stopped near the Athabasca River and ran out to the edge of the ice, in about a foot of snow, in my skateboard shoes and sweatpants... I know, I wear some real technical clothing when I go shoot. I spent enough time to fire off about 100 bracketed frames in a few different compositions, and this is the one I liked the most. Not bad for being totally unprepared and under dressed for the -24 Celsius weather.

Photos: Nikon D90, 17-55mm f/2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment